Old 25-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Robert L. Bass

Default French Curbs

I was looking into getting French curbs and I
seen homes with lights running up the path
within the cement and I thought it looked great.
Does anybody know how to do this or what
kind of lights to use??? The ones I saw were
small round lights which looked kinda like
pot lights flush within the cement and gave
off a glow at night.

All kidding aside, we've been looking into this same thing. There's a
franchise called Kwik Kerb http://www.kwikkerb.com. I've decided to hire
their local outfit to do curbing around the gardens in front of our house.
We're undecided about the lights though. For 120' of white cement curb they
want $400. For the same with lights it's $1,200. They look very nice but
for the $800 difference I could do some pretty nice landscape lighting in
the gardens instead.

Kwik Kerb has a machine that forms the curbing in place. They place a small
square protrusion on the stencil so it forms a groove in the curb as it's
laid down. After the cement cures they insert a series of low voltage
"light tubes" with tiny bulbs every few inches along their length. The
tubes are about 2' long with mating plugs at each end. The whole thing is
no more complex than a string of Christmas lights with a low voltage
transformer. It's held in place in the channel with a silicon like cement.

I'd have to guess that the markup on the lighting system is around 300% at a
minimum. If you go that route consider asking the contractor to just form
the channel. You should be able to buy the lights online and install them
yourself in an hour or two for a fraction of the cost.

Alarm and Home Automation System FAQ
http://www.bass-home.com/faq/masterfaq/faq.htm

Regards,
Robert