Old 26-05-2004, 04:02 AM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Ceramic Pots

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin" Subject: [IBC] Ceramic Pots

Thanks for your reply, despite what others may say I can see that there is
some sort of a coating on most of the unglazed I have inspected. If you

chip
it off it will often reveal a lighter colored clay. I thought they did

this
because they used cheaper grades of clay for the pots I have bought.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,
Aside from the comment I made earlier about colored panels on cheaper
unglazed chinese pots sometimes ( which WOULD be lighter underneath if you
chip off the slip/stain) I did happen to think of something you MIGHT be
seeing. On newer "Higher Grade" Chinese pots that have been around the last
few years ( and are actually pretty darn nice chinese pots!) I have noticed
a wax-like coating on them to achieve a nice smooth finish. It does often
become a problem within the first year(s) as it starts to flake away as
white chalky looking crap on the sides of the pot. In a few years it'll be
pretty much gone and coating with mineral oil ( baby oil) periodically does
help them look better while they go through this "shedding of wax". Also
some scrubbing with a scotch-brite pad. I imagine if you chip a new one
you'd notice the uncoated clay underneath as more dull.
Just a thought on that.
Dale

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++