Old 08-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] trunk width

From: ss

How does one measure trunk size/width, especially when there

is nebari, or a
slanted trunk?

Usuall you measure the circumference at the point where the

curve between
nebari and trunk stops, then divide by pye (whateevr that is -

been a long
time since Iwas at school) to find the diameter.

Colin

A lot of us, on the other hand, merely lay a ruler across the
tree and eyeball the diameter. As for where, as Colin says, the
widest part of the trunk is just above the spread of the roots.

In real life, one would measure a trunk at breast height --
usually agreed to be about 4 feet -- hence the terminology,
"x-feet dbh" for x feet diameter, breast height. You'd have to
choose where that was on a bonsai. It probably would NOT be at
the thickest point, and since we like to brag about how fat our
trunks are (as opposed to ourselves ;-) it would not be the
preferred spot.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++