Old 27-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Ka30P

Default How deep is too deep?

I wouldn't have made mine as deep as I did.
And mine isn't all that deep!
But at 5'6" if I get in the water is up to my waist.
That doesn't make for easy maintenance.
Also, without any shelves (which with our rock upon rock soil it was going to
be really hard to do) it makes it hard to put in marginal plants. Each plant
has to set on a stack of builder's brick and that makes them vulnerable to wind
in our yard.

That said I've ended up with all goldfish who don't need the greater depth than
koi. I've become a wildlife/nature ponder which has different requirements than
koi ponding.
A lot of depth has to do with your goals for ponding. The OP poster probably
wants to keep koi?

kathy :-)