Old 27-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Phil Williamson

Default Read lots on how to start planted tank but still confused - please help

How long do you plan on keeping the lights on per day? Which bulbs did you
choose for your new planted tank?

"Sarah" wrote in message
om...
Ok, I've had a few aquariums for over a year now, so I think I'm ready
to start my first planted tank. I've been reading everything I can
get my hands on and have asked questions at the LFS, but now I'm
overloaded with info.

I have the following plans on how to start but I need your input so
that I know I'm on the right track. I have a 25 gallon tall tank -
12" x 24" x 16"

I figure I'll start with a mixture of flourite and black gravel about
2-3 inches high. I want to use sand but I've heard conflicting
commentary that sea sand will throw things off and the sand I have in
my ciclid tank is designed for African ciclids so that LFS said I
shouldn't use it for live plants.

I was going to start with a small CO2 canister that they LFS suggested
(retails there for about $35 - don't remember the name) and a dual
flourescent light hood. The room the tank will be in does not have a
lot of stron ambient light so most of the light will come from the
hood.

I still need to research plants, but I'm thinking that I'm best going
with plants with low to medium light requirements. I haven't even
though abotu fish yet - although I know it'll be a community tank.

What else do I need? What should I fix?