Old 28-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Go Fig

Default How deep is too deep?

In article , Lee B.
wrote:

If you're building it with a bottom drain (or 2), then you could go 6-8'
easily: the deeper it is, the safer your fish will be. I don't know where
you're located, but if it freezes, your fish will thank you for the added
depth G.

A deep pond (or area) all but eliminates raccoon problems.

jay
Thu May 27, 2004

On the down side, if you don't have bottom drains, the depth will
KILL you trying to keep it clean. And trying to catch the little hummers
without a seine net would be impossible. To be honest, I've never heard
anyone say "I wish it was more shallow", but I've heard a LOT of folks wish
it was deeper.

Lee

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
I'm enlarging my pond, going from about 6' x 6' x 3' to
something like 10' x 15'. I thought I go 5' deep this time
but now I'm wondering if 7 or 8 feet is "too deep". Does anyone
have a pond this deep or deeper and do you regret it? Digging
will be more of a chore but you only have to do it once :-)

My philospohy is to pick a length and width that fits the
garden asthetically and then make it as deep as possible.

Thanks for any input.