Old 28-05-2004, 03:10 AM
John Savage

Default How to get rid of aphids on chives

Earlier I wrote:
Mix one part denatured alcohol + 3 parts water. Spray directly onto the
aphids and they die instantly. I have not found any plants that dislike
the solution, but you could test it on a few of the plants one day ahead
of spraying the whole lot in case you have something particularly tender.

You can hose the plants with water 2 or 3 minutes after spraying if you
wish, because by then the aphids will have turned up their toes. Denatured
alcohol is sold as "methylated spirits" here in Australia. You could use
vodka, but dilute with only 2 parts water. :-)

As you are talking about small plants, I wouldn't wash the alcohol off as
it will go into the soil and might upset the plant's root. Just leave it to
evaporate off the leaves.