Old 02-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Rob Halgren

Default DNA of Plants

TQPL wrote:

Hi Dicky,

Can you re-write you question differently so I can
understand it?
Are you trying to breed Paphiopedilums?
Are you looking for genetics of Paphiopedilums?
Are you trying to raise Paphipedilums
artificially....seedlings?

I was a little unclear myself.

Research on Paphiopedilum DNA is limited..
Some people may have done DNA fingerprinting to
study origins, but I do not think you
will find results on the www.

No taxonomic analyses that I could find, but there are some DNA
sequences published. Mainly 5.8S rRNA and ITS2 sequences, so somebody
is working on it. You could take these sequences and run some
phylogenetic analyses. Of course you would have to learn how to do that
properly (it is quite easy to do it improperly). I'd suggest PAUP as a
good software package to use for this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...aphioped ilum

Now, if you are looking for other things (full genomic sequence, or
even just specific gene sequences), you are out of luck. None of that
has been done (or if it has, it hasn't been published). We aren't quite
to the point of making it trivial to sequence a genome, it still takes a
while and a lot of money. Less time and less money than a couple years
ago (or a couple months ago). I think that Paphiopedilum as a genus is
probably similar enough at the genomic level that you would only really
have to sequence one species, at least as a reference set. Pick a
species, any species...

There is a program from the JGI (US Department of Energy Joint
Genomes Institute) that will fund genome sequencing, if you can convince
them that your organism is interesting enough and that you can handle
the data analysis. At least I assume they are still soliciting
proposals. If there is enough interest in this, I can provide the data
analysis if somebody wants to provide the rationale and paperwork. I'm
supporting a proposal to look at a fungus (death angel mushroom,
actually), but orchids would be more fun.

Rob (why yes, I am a bioinformatician...)

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit