Old 09-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Ignoramus2772

Default Where to buy plastic sheeting for a greenhouse.

Thanks, excellent post. Yes, I will buy UVstabilised film.

In article , dps wrote:
Ignoramus2772 wrote:
I built a greenhouse frame out of 1.5" pvs pipes and wooden boards,
pictures forthcoming.

N Ill, zone 5.

The objective is to extend the growing sean by maybe 1 month both
ways, and it is not my objective to grow plants year round.

The question is, where could I buy strong enough film for the
greenhouse.

You want something like 6 mil UV stabilized plastic film. It comes in
widths up to 48 ft and lengths to 150 ft (maybe even larger). If it's
not UV stabilized it won't last more than a month or two after which you
will have small pieces of plastic littering your neighborhood. The
stabilized stuff is rated for 3-5 years. You can buy patch tape, but
once it starts to go (after the rated life) it's cheaper to replace it.
The patch tape is fine for accidental holes (wild shovel work, flying
ice, cats getting locked in, etc.).

Some places will sell you a 37 foot length or whatever you need, but
many places sell it in standard lengths like 100 ft. Keep the leftover
stuff somewhere where the mice won't chew on it and you can re-skin the
greenhouse next time it needs it.

You have to think about how you are going to attach it to the frame.
There are several different ways to do it. I use the wire lock. Have had
no problems with it. The guy down the road has something different on
each of his greenhouses. They all work. The cheapest is just batten tape
over the poly film and stapled onto whatever's below it. Only
recommended for a small greenhouse (largest dimension less than 30 ft).

Try your yellow pages under Greenhouse Supply. Find someone local with a
greenhouse and ask where they got theirs. You want something local so
you don't have to pay too much shipping. Plastic is heavy. If they have
it as a stock item, they have to pay shipping from the factory (which
they pass along to you). If they just order it from the factory and have
it shipped direct you can save a bit.

Don't know who's in N Ill. I bought my last batch from Griffin
Greenhouse (http://www.griffins.com) a company in the northeast US.