Old 09-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Sue

Default Pet Safe slug killer????

In article , GoldLexus
wrote:

HELP! I have newly planted marigolds and newly sprouted sunflowers and they
and been severly munched by slugs! GRRRRRR. Can someone recommend a good,
fast and pet safe slug killer?
Will these plants bounce back after being munched on?

Several years ago, when I was living in Vancouver BC I saw the most
ingenious slug solution. I had completely given up on lettuce because
the slugs ate more than I did.

An engineer friend who had small kids and pets had this luxuriant
lettuce field in his back yard. What he had done (typical engineer) was
frame his bed in 4x4's. He then ran out two parallel wires, about 1/4
inch apart, fixed to the 4x4, and connected the end of each to a the
terminals of a small battery (sorry don't recall the voltage maybe 6
volt). When the slugs crawled across they completed the circuit and
zap! no more slug.