Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Brent Harsh

Default Recommendations for local nurseries selling trees

With all due respect, I can understand why you love the trees your ancestors
planted; however, Silver Maples simply are not suited for most situations.

Ah, I see your point now - if one were sold to be planted in the
typical city-like residential site, you're surely right. I also think
that the useful life of the two trees I mentioned is approaching
(right about at 90 years) and I know the wood is not too good anymore.
Makes sense, although I wouldn't call it a scam tree as long as
people knew what they were getting.

I really was thinking in comparison with the Bradford Pear that the
original poster was thinking about - driving near Harrison's Bar after
the ice storm a few years ago was enough evidence for me to never want
one of *them* - this nude tree with all the branches lying in a circle
around the trunk!

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.