Old 10-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Rod

Default red blobs on tree leaves...

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 15:28:49 +0100, flower faerie
wrote:

I have some lovely sycamore trees in my garden and I've noticed that
some of the leaves have this funny looking red spore like things on
them. Also the leaves seem to darker than normal and they're sticky.

any advice appreciated!

ff.

2 things here - the red things are galls, probably nail galls. Plenty
of info if you search the internet. The sticky stuff is honeydew
secreted by aphids feeding on the leaves. The galls are harmless, the
aphids and honeydew aren't going to harm the sycamore much but could
be a problem with stuff growing under the tree. The honeydew will fall
on the plants and a disfiguring black mould will grow on them. Growth
will probably be retarded.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply