Old 25-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Carola / Les

Default Australian Newbie may be in over his head!!

"Robert" wrote in message
hi all
I have been lurking in the back ground and have read many posts and got

lots
of answers but some questions still need answering..

I have plans for a pond or two... (don't tell the wife)
header pond = 1.5 x 2 x 0.3 m
main pond = 2.5 x 3 x 0.6 m
creek to join the two about 0.3m wide 8m in length lined with pebbles
header pond is about 1.5m above main pond
also a overflow (44gal drum) to take care of water drop when creek is
flowing..

Now the Questions come.....
1. what size pump to circulate water to top pond and run creek?

2. Should I tap in to the return line and place inlets back into the creek
at intervals up the creek to get flowing quicker on startup?

3. If creek was running 24/7 would the creek act as a filter. if not how

do
I get a filtering process in to the setup?

4. I plan on placing Australia Native Rainbow fish in the main pond (

garden
plan is for full native garden and koi.. well enough said) . Do I just

place
mesh over the overflow to stop fish getting into the overflow?

5. Any points that I have not thought of that I should...?? before I start
digging...

Thanx in advance for any help on these matters

Rob

p.s. I will get a page going that will show the progress and the final
outcome if this is going to work...

Hi Robert. Your plan sounds very similar to my set -up, with 2 ponds

connected by a stream and waterfall. I use 2 Titan 8000 pumps placed at
each end of the bottom pond and they pump the water up about 2 mtrs to the
top pond. One pipe passes through a Bioforce filter on the way up.
I have 3 overflow outlets in the top pond, one of which creates the main
waterfall. The other 2 pass through gravel filters before joining the main
waterfall.
The depth of the ponds is 18 to 24 inches and I find this to be an ideal
depth for the Australian climate. ( no freezing over).
My ponds are crystal clear and have never had an algae problem and the Koi
and Gold fish are thriving.
I live in Nambucca so if you want to contact me for more info , you are very
welcome. Les