Old 12-06-2004, 11:02 PM
omi

Default Tough scapes

"simy1" wrote in message
om...
Bill wrote in message

.. .
What are the visual cues that it is time to cut a garlic scape (for the
skillet)?

How low should it be cut?

Should any portion of it be discarded?

Bill

they don't really ripen. The earlier the tenderer, the best are cut as
soon as the base of the flower becomes visible, in which case you have
to cut just below the flower. this is also best for the bulb, because
all the energy of the extra foot of scape will now go to the bulb.

Slightly O.T. If I remove the scapes from elephant garlic, new leaf blades
grow out from the tips of the cloves and are not wrappers around the bulbs
like the earlier leaf blades. So I believe it is best to leave the scapes
on for elephant garlic. This may be due to our warm climate with temps over
100 deg in may (Phoenix AZ area). This hasn't happened with the true,
hardneck garlic. Olin