Old 13-06-2004, 05:03 AM
kevin

Default Green Hair Algae

Hi All,
Sorry about not quoting any previous messages. Anyway, I posted this
message earlier in another thread and thought it was applicable to
this topic, so I'm re-posting in case you didn't catch it.

In my experience, FFF are very good filamentous algae eaters. I
haven't seen a filamentous algae they won't eat - but like pretty much
every fish out there, they will eat flake food instead of algae if
given the opportunity.

Generally, most fish will eat a bit of algae, rotting leaves,
detritus, etc, and so I always keep feedings in my planted tanks to a
minimum (often skipping several days at a time).

Incidentally, I believe (from experience) that the absolute best
solution for a tank that has an algae problem is 5 days of total
darkness (no lights, cover with thick blanket) followed by a 50% water
change. Depending on the kind of algae, you may need to pick at a bit
of the algae that has died and vacuum it out with the big water
change. All of your plants and fish (and corals, if sal****er) will
survive this treatment.

Take care,
Kevin