Old 13-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Howie

Default new driveway -- cracked already?

I had a contractor put in a new concrete driveway in last August (poured in
35 degree Celsius temperatures). By mid-September, it had developed a crack
already about 6 feet long (and even a small triangle about 6" big had
cracked as well.). The crack is right where I suggested an expansion joint
should be put, but the contractor said that he wasn't going to put in one in
that spot. We have a brutal expansive soil problem here called "Regina
Gumbo".

This spring I noticed another crack on another section of the driveway about
the same length.

1) Do I have a legitimate "beef" with this contractor? He told me that
cracks are going to develop over time, but should they develop this soon?

2) Is there a complaint process I should go through?

3) should I seal the cracks up? If "Yes", with what?

Howie