Old 13-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Karen Fletcher

Default Help, weed name? Best weed killer?

In rec.gardens Bill Case wrote:
: Hi,
: My gravel yard is getting overrun with a weed (quick download photo link
: http://home.earthlink.net/~stock_valuation/Weed.htm ) .

: I live in central Colorado, semi-arid climate. Can anybody name this weed,
: and perhaps suggest a good herbicide? Roundup doesn't hurt it much.

: I have some recently planted shrubs and trees - how do I avoid harming them
: when using weed killer?

At a guess, this looks like an Artemisia of some kind. AKA sagebrush,
sagewort, wormwood, etc. Is the stem woody? Are leaves a bit felty and
give off a pungent odor when crushed?

If you go to the USDA Plants Database advanced search, you can narrow it
down by state and genus:
http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topic...=dl_state.html

An easier solution is to take a sample in to your local Extension office
for ID. They should also be able to give you suggestions on how to get
rid of it.

Roundup won't do much unless the plant absorbs it. Plants with waxy or
felty leaves can be a challenge, even for Roundup. Try mowing it first or
using a brushcutter to damage the leaves, then use Roundup or brush killer
on it.

As for how to avoid harming other plants when using weed killer, you don't
mention which kind, granular or spray. If you're using Roundup, you may
want to use the kind that applies as a foam. Any drift on a windy day
will damage or kill any plant.

-- Karen

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002