Old 16-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Iain Miller

Default another algae question

" wrote in message
om...
(Keng) wrote in message

. com...
Hello all

I have been battling this algae for some time now. It is a grean coat
that covers everything including the sand. Its comes off relatively
easy and I have been picking at it every few days to keep as much of
it off the plants as possible.

Any ideas on what kind of algae this is and how do I get rid of it. I
bought a UV sterilizer which will hopefully help. If not I need an
alternative plan.

Please help!!!

See "BGA algae" or "Cyanobacteria" and "blackout" for cure and
prevention over the long term.
This sounds like what you have.

UV's are useful for the rare but frustrating green water, but besides
that, they are of little use for planted tanks.

Blackout works the best of all the treatments for BGA to kill what's
there that I have tried. It's been 100% effective, it cost nothing.

Why folks still suggest antibiotics is plumb crazy.

I do agree with what you are saying regarding pretty much all forms of
Algae - grow good plants to eliminate Algae - a good clean up crew & some
SAEs help as well.

With regard to BGA, as you probably know (but the OP may not) its not
actually an Algae but a form of bacteria. There also seem to be many
diferent schools of thought as to what causes it & how to kill it. I had a
dose of it recently & I tried the blackout with some success although not
total. I ended up using some Maracyn (3/4 dose for 3 days instead of 5) in
desparation and, credit where credit is due, it definitly works.

rgds

I.