Old 17-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Flying beetles - how to get rid of them ?

wrote:
Umm....newbie gardener plants' like roses : bud/leaves, persimmon leaves and
other plants are being eaten by these fingertip size beetles with greenish
casts. What can I use to get rids of them but leaving my plants and basils
safe enough to eat ? Thanks.

Best method I have is that I pick 'em off the plants and drop them into
a ziploc baggie half filled with water and a drop or two of liquid dish
soap. When I'm done, I close it and toss it in the outside garbage can.

Japanese beetle traps are pretty useless. Lots of evidence that they
attract more beetles than they actually catch.

Long term - I put milky spore down on my yard two years ago. It really
seems to have cut down on the grubs this year. Milky spore takes awhile
to "kick in" but once it does, it lasts for years. It's not cheap, I
think I paid around $20 for the cannister, but it only takes one
application for years of benefit.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu