Old 21-06-2004, 11:06 PM
grubber

Default Selecting an efficent pond pump

"D Kat" wrote in message
I hesitate to post this again after just being made fun of for my

repeating
it continuously but it really does work for me. I had the same issue with
not being able to deal with the cleaning of the prefilter all of the time

(I
was about to just fill in the pond because of the twice a week clean that
this system needed). Someone else posted in here about putting a pump in

bucket filled with lava rock. This acts both as a bio filter and as a
prefilter to the pump. I only clean mine out about once a year and I have
been using this method for some time now. I had been using a waterfall

pump
which is not picky about being prefiltered but when the cord was damaged I
fell back on my old pump that had needed prefiltering and it has been
working fine.

"Pat" wrote in message
newsWFBc.86339$HG.80536@attbi_s53...
"grubber" wrote in message
"Pat" wrote in message
Hi all,

I would like to select an efficient (submersible) pond pump for my

pond
(capable of 1200 gph at 4ft head). Unfortunately, most pump specs

only
list
a single "power consumption" value without specifying what flow (or

head)
that occurs at. What I really need is a power consumption vs. flow

(or
head) curve so I can determine the power consumption at my

particular
conditions. Is there any way to extrapolate this from typically

pump
specs?
Any other sources for this information? I'm currently considering

Oase
and
Cyprio models.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it. -Pat

I know Sequence pumps have power v flow curves available, but those

are
external pumps. For submersibles, the Laguna 5000 should give the

flow
you
need at around 85 watts, which is the most efficient submersible I

found
when I looked.

If you can make an external pump work, they tend to be more efficient

than
the submersibles.

Thanks for the reply.

I considered a Sequence but all their models are designed for larger
applications. The smallest I found (3200SEQ20) was rated for 2800gph.

The
Laguna 5000 looks good, but would probably need a prefilter. Our last

pump
required a prefilter, which constantly clogged and was a real pain.

Also,
given how much lower it's advertised power consumption is than other
comparable mag drive products, I wonder how real it really is (either

that,
or else the flowrate is not what they claim).

The appeal of either the Oase AquaMax/Powermax or Cyprio Titan is their
ability to pass solids, which (I think) should make them more maintenace
free. And they both look (on paper at least) to be pretty effiicient.

I'm surprised the manufacturers don't include more information on the

power
use of their products since (in my opinion) this an important aspect to
consider when making a selection, given how much it can cost to operate
these things 24/7.

Thanks again, -Pat

I have a Laguna 5000 in a large pot full of pea gravel and I haven't had to
unclog it in the several months it's been running. I don't have any idea on
the actual power consumption, but the output seems to be about what is
advertised.