Old 22-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Patrick Demets

Default Recommendations on reel mower "accessories" (roller, rear wheels, etc.)

I'm considering the purchase of a push reel mower, and I've noticed that
some models have a roller at the back. Is this really necessary? I
understand the basic idea (that patterns can be made), but is there any
purpose other than esthetic?

Also, I've considered and rejected both the Brill and the Gardena mower, as
they do not provide enough height. Here in Alberta, where the air is dry,
grass apparently needs a bit more height to thrive (some say 3 inches or so,
but I'd be OK with a bit less).

I've settled (tell me if I'm making a mistake) on either the Yardworks
[apparently made by Scotts] (either 18 or 20 inch wide) or the Scotts
Classic (20 inch). Both come with rear wheels (is this a good thing?), but
no roller. Also in the running is the Great States 18inch, which comes with
a roller, but no rear wheels. It's also my understanding that most North
American reel mowers are actually made by the American Lawnmower Company
(still, some models have to be better made than others, no?)

And lastly a question that borders on the religious: to bag or not to bag?
And are grass catchers for reel mowers really effective?

Choices, choices. Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated. I've
read posts in this NG and others dating back several years, but am still
confused.

Thanks (all who answer will receive a free sample of my grass clippings --
no silly, I mean lawn -- if they so desire!)

Patrick