Old 23-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Lee Coleman

Default Help with Geraniums!

Don't know your location but here are some hints for dead flower and buds.
Look for Thrips as they can feed inside the buds before they open and cause
them to abort. You can take a piece of white paper, pinch off a flower stalk
and knock or shake the flower stalk on the paper. This will loosen the
Thrips from inside if they are present. Thrips are very small, smaller than
a pinhead, and can be yellowish, brownish or black in color. They will move
quickly and are a nervous insect. You can treat with a conventional
insecticide or something like Botanigard if you are into organic control.
Check with the local garden center.
If you have had cloudy days and lots of rain, then my guess would be a
fungus called Botrytis or Gray Mold. Check with your local garden center for
a fungicide. Be sure to deadhead the plants.
Geraniums flower on new growth so keep the food up on them. If you want to
check out some commercial website for more information here are a few:
www.ballseed.com
www.fischerusa.com
http://www.fischerusa.com/pdfs/GCare.pdf
Hope this helps,
Lee
"Ron H" wrote in message
I have a large hanging basket full of geraniums that was blooming nicely

but
has stopped setting blooms. The foliage looks great but new buds turn

brown
and fall off before they open...... what's wrong?

Ron H.