Old 23-06-2004, 01:18 PM
sophie

Default idiot query re. plants and lighting...

I wonder if anyone can help me with a (very stupid, I think) query
regarding artificial lighting and plants. Everything I read on the net
tells me that planted tanks need artificial light. What I would like to
know is why? If I have a tank in a position with bright natural light -
a position where houseplants would do well - and some direct sunlight
though not too much - why isn't this suitable for low light aquatic
plants? (I have a couple of rosette-y things growing in a tank at the
moment with no artificial light and they seem fine. they're not growing
fast but they are growing - nice new leaves (coming out red when they
appear) - and I can't see any real problems with them. I can see that
high-light plants would require something close to the brightness of
unfiltered sunlight, but for my situation, I'm puzzled as to the reasons
for the additional lighting - and why isn't this actually
counterproductive for plants which like low light which are already in a
brightish position?

does the requirement for artificial light assume that the tank is kept
in a low-light area?

I would be very grateful for any clarification at all...
--
sophie
puzzled idiot.