Old 27-06-2004, 12:07 PM
Brian

Default Foxgloves

"Joanne" wrote in message
news:_4yDc.223$WZ4.209@newsfe3-gui...
Foxgloves -- once they've finished flowering do I cut off the seed heads

for
a second flush of flowers, or do I cut them down because they won't flower
again, or do I just leave them alone to re-seed for next year?

Thanks

------------------

If you remove the 'seed heads' then this can encourage flowering
side-shoots. This foxglove [D.purpuria] is normally biennial but in the best
conditions can be perennial.
Seeds, for next year's flowers, should have been sown some weeks ago.
If you keep any seeds they can be sown next May/June for flowering a
year later.
Plant them out in October.
There are some very exceptional varieties now available that can be
treated as annuals.
Regards Brian.