Old 28-06-2004, 06:02 AM
junkyardcat

Default Another Azalea Problem

Hi Wayne,

I have some white ones that do the same thing! They always bloom before the
pink and mauve ones, then the white flowers turn brown and dry out and drop
off. Then the next year, they bloom like crazy again. I'm not sure why this
is...maybe they were planted earlier than the other colored ones? Or maybe
they're just a different variety? Anyway...wanted to let you know that yours
aren't the only ones that do that

Angie

"wayne crimi" wrote in message
.. .
I have four Azaleas in my garden. Two are a pink variety and two are

white.
I am not sure of the exact species. The white ones bloom smallish white
flowers and have dark green leaves. The pink ones have larger pink

flowers
and lighter and larger green leaves.

My two pink ones are doing fine. The white ones are having a serious
problem, but I have no idea what it is.

When I bought them last year, they all had a full set of healthy leaves

and
flower blossoms. After the bloom, the leaves began to dry and brown a

bit.
That process continued through the summer.

We then had a horrible winter in NY. When the snow finally thawed I could
tell they all had taken quite a beating. The pink ones recovered very

well
though.

To my surprise the white ones also bloomed a lot of white flowers.

However,
they did not bloom any new leaves and the few remaining ones from last

year
have continued to dry and brown. The bloom has just finished and all that

is
really left is a bare plant with a few dry or drying out leaves.

The pinks one have also finished their bloom, but they are growing a

healthy
set of new green leaves.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the white ones. They are in the same soil
and get similar sun (perhaps a bit too much from what I have read). Any

help
would be appreciated.