Old 28-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Eric Schreiber

Default yeast co2 outlet into venturi?

Joe Sipley wrote:

Is it ok to put the outlet hose from the yeast bottle into the venturi
outlet on a powerhead? I bought the Hagen yeast co2 thing because I
didn't feel like making one myself, it has that big zig-zag bubble
counter but the big co2 bubbles just end up getting released at the
top of the tank. Will I get more absorbtion with the venturi?

I had that Hagen zig-zag in my system for awhile and it ran very well.
The bubbles did reach the top, but they were much smaller and moving
very slowly by the time they arrived. I don't know anything about the
physics of gas distribution in water, but I suspect that if your
bubbles weren't shrinking, the water might have been saturated with CO2
already.

As for putting the output directly into a Venturi, that will work fine,
but do NOT do it with any CO2 bottle that might collapse, like a
flexible 2-liter pop bottle. The suction could empty your entire CO2
mixture, water, sugar, yeast and alcohol, right into your tank. That
would be bad.

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com