Old 01-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Susan Erickson

Default meaning of Light

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:45:26 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

There is a good discussion of light and how to judge the proper intensity
and duration in the Ortho book 'All About Growing Orchids'. If you search
around online you should be able to find a site with instructions on using
your SLR camera as a light meter so you can judge how much light your
location has. I was never able to make that work, but that's not saying
much.

So where does this leave you? You are looking for a bright room in your
house. Something an interior designer would say 'Oh such a nice room, and
good light' about.

K Barrett

When I was starting - in the dark ages - They used to teach you
to hold your hand about a foot above a plant. If the shadow had
sharp outlines you were in good cattleya light. If there was a
distinct shadow but blurred a bit around the edge it would for
most orchids. Those labeled intermediate as to temp and water
and light. If it was just a haze of a shadow due to conflicting
light patterns and limited light; you knew it was almost too
little for even the Phal.

Also the truth which some hate to hear is that what African
Violets like is the same conditions as what Phal.s love. Many
people know where they can grow African Violets and automatically
include a sheer curtain to avoid direct sun and burning rays.
This same set-up is great for the Phal.

We need to accept the knowledge of our new growers and build on
it; rather than fearing the comparison with another group of
plants.
SuE