Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Holy Smoke

Default meaning of Light

Thanks Barrett.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
news:4gWEc.8650$a24.3864@attbi_s03...
These are vandas and native to Thailand. They will want a warm winter.

Not
less than 60F or maybe more like 62F. They will want a humid environment
too, something that can be a challenge to provide indoors. (More than 50%
humidity) and they will want higher, stronger light for a full day at

least
(12 hrs). They can take a few hours of direct light (in the AM) but they
will burn too. In places like Singapore and Hawaii and parts of Florida
these can grow outside becasue the temps and humidity are naturally

correct.
The rest of us have to modify our environment to suit them, or get a
greenhouse or other set up in which to house them while they grow, then
bring them in to the house when they flower.

K Barrett
"Holy Smoke" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone who replied. It has been most helpful to my

understanding
of the term light in orchids' literature..

I would like to grow Dr. Anek and Vanda Pakchong. I would like to build

trellis to hang the orchids and thus am looking a "correct" location.

Thanks once again.

"Claude" wrote in message
Hello!

thats depens of the kind of orchids you grow! Some likes direct sun,

moast
of them likes bright light but no sun and a few like shady places!
Tell us what kind of orchids you or you want to grow and we`ll be able

help you more !

Cladue

"Holy Smoke" wrote in message
| I am new to orchids and have been doing some reading. One of the
neccessary
| requirements for orchid growth is light. What does the word light

here
mean?
| Does it mean that the plant must be in the sun light or just a place
bright
| enough (though in a shade area) for those plants that require

moderate