Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Doug Kanter

Default compost to be used indoors

"Frogleg" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:30:45 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Anne" wrote

Could anyone advise me how to prepare compost for use in the house for
indoor plants? There are bugs and flies and I would prefer not to
bring them in. Thank you.

Working from ancient memory here! The book "Crockett's Victory Garden"
suggests pasteurizing it outside in a big pot, perhaps over a gas grill.

Add
enough water so it doesn't burn. He says it stinks to high hell, so do it

on
a day with a breeze, and away from open windows. I don't recall how long
this should take, but I'll guess and say 20 minutes from the time it

starts
boiling.

Or you could buy some commercial compost for your houseplants.

.....but read the label if you might use it on food plants. Over the years,
I've seen a few offerings of composted municipal waste, or some such thing.
Rodale tested some of this stuff back in the 1980s and found it contained
not just stuff which was originally "organic", but also quite a bit of heavy
metal from all the other stuff people discard (batteries, computers, etc).