Old 06-07-2004, 04:03 AM
len gardener

Default open letter to all perma-culturists who realy care - back 2 grass roots

g'day fran,

i didn't post this as a personal thing, i am involved in a few permy
forums etc.,. and this news group up to a couple or so years ago was a
vibrant forum of people sharing ideas and discussing what they were
doing and how.

that all stopped and in my opinion which i am voicing ok sorry it came
out a bit strong, but there is an undercurrent of these diploma
yuppies out there and all they see pc as is a way to a healthy bank
account or some sort of notoriety. this group which was attracting new
players which is needed to keep the flow going has slowly but surely
ground to a halt, and the way i see largely due to this premise that
unless you have a diploma and set up and institute you just aren't
doing permaculture (this was not necessarily caused by posters in this
group but surely it has been by other forums).

yes i know that some sort of bad politics played it's part here as
well and from where i see it not all that can be pointed one way there
was lots of bad karma going on between what appeared to be factions.

permaculture is people interested in the betterment of the planet,
what their personal perferences or biases are do not count.

now for those who do not believe in freedom of speech i stick to my
opinion, so if the shoe fits you wear it, i'm afraid to me it looks
like there are those that cannot handle the resposibilty that comes
with the anonimity that the 'net guarantees. i have never been this
vocal before but i hold the right to say it as i see it as everyone
has that right.

i feel for all our friends and otehrs who are sharing this drought,
yes we ahve been lucky this last summer and gotten some good falls and
some good falls alst year as well, and a lot of the practises we have
incorporated here have maximised those falls of rain.

we bought and lost lots of trees in the early stages there was just no
way know we coyuld keep the water up to them, that has now truned
around, but it was very distressing especially when not only water was
short but so was money, not counting the tiem & effort involved.

we too keep our plants going with our grey water and our night water,
our main supply is tanks one is already shut down so we are on the
last 2, we are hoping and praying for rain for one and all in the
coming summer.

the otehr down side that is disheartening is ok (no accolades sort)
but in the time we have planted 500 trees just around us our estimate
is that anywhere up to or mere than 1000+ trees have been pushed over
or felled for the mill or the chippers, so when our mr jack thompson
illustrious actor and tree ambassador says we are a bit behind the 8
ball boy have i got a message for, he mentions 8 million trees planted
but no mention that maybe there is around 10 times that amount
destroyed in the same period of time.

if we don't start getting some common sense land management going in
this country alone and pc was maybe still is if we can get it back to
grass roots, the best way to instil that need in people, for if we
don't in simple terms i can't see our rain situation returning to
normal.

take care

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.