Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Beecrofter

Default Cure for dog urine smell outside?

"Bob" wrote in message . ..
Hi,
I have a small fenced in grassy area next to my home for my dog to roam
around in. Lately with the summer heat it has developed the sour smell of
urine.
Does anyone know of a simple treatment for this that is not harmful to my
dog?

A good watering followed by spreading a few pounds of sugar over the
surface followed by another watering.
The sugar will provide a large amount of carbohydrate to feed the soil
bacteria who will tie up the excess nitrogen in their bodies as they
multiply instead of outgassing all that ammonia and stink.
A 5lb bag spread over a 10'x20' area would be a good start, repeat in
a couple of days. Other sources of carbon such as sifted compost will
help keep the soil healthy and allow the soil bacteria to break down
the wastes. Don't let the soil go dry or bacterial action will slow
down.