Old 08-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Roy

Default Lawn watering with impact sprinklers?

I know some of us don;t have much of a choice but today I managed to
tear up wuite a bit of my nice new growing grass from a damned
in=mpacked type sprinkler, one of those with the spike you stick down
in the ground. What happens is the soil loosens up around the spike
and it starts to wobble and in the process the hole gets larger and
larger each time the sprinker rotates around and eventually it flips
out of the hole and lays on its side washing away the dirt, seed
etc..I would suggest driving a pipe or tube in the ground of a
sufficient size so the spike will fit in this tube instead of the
ground. Being elevated also help make a better dispersal of the water
as well. I normlly used piece of 1" conduit (EMT Thinwall type) drove
into the ground for mounting the sprinkers in but today had to change
a section and figured I would just drive it in the ground for
now............but it bit me in the butt. Of course various soils
willact different and my soils are sandy with some loam and wash very
easy, but then again most soils will with water pressure anyhow. Just
something to be aware of with those spike in the ground impact
sprinklers.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.