Old 08-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Pete Stephenson

Default Lawn watering with impact sprinklers?

In article ,
"Matt" wrote:

I recently had the same problem, as I just had my large yard hydroseeded. I
only have two spigots on the exterior of my house. There is sufficient
pressure to run two impulse sprinklers off of each spigot, as long as the
sprinklers aren't the extra large models. The problem is that these
sprinklers advertise a coverage of 80' diameter and put down 1/4" of water
in 3 hours. But in the real world, that would have been with absolutely no
breeze and a single sprinkler on each spigot. When dasychaining them, the
coverage was reduced, any blowing breezes also reduced the effective
coverage. What I did was to get a couple of 2-way splitter manifolds, and
installed one on each spigot. This gave me two outlets at each spigot. I
then put an electronic timer on each output, 4 in total. I then used the
largest impulse sprinkler I could find. It advertised a coverage of 108'
diameter and put out 1/4" in 2 hours, roughly 50% more water than the
smaller impulse sprinklers. This way I could set each timer so that only
one of the sprinklers from each spigot was operating at the same time. That
way each sprinkler would get full pressure and cover a much larger area, and
quicker too. I used digital electronic timers that run as long or as short
as I like up to 4 times each day. This way, I could water a large portion
of the property while I was away or at work, then I just had to do a few
sprinkler moves to get any missed areas.

Hmm...interesting idea. I'd do that at home, but I'm afraid that in the
army barracks we're in, expensive things like electronic timers and
extremely useful things like Y splitters are frequently "tactically
reacquired" by others.

Any other ideas?

--
Pete Stephenson