Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Tyler Hopper

Default Lawn watering with impact sprinklers?

"Matt" wrote in message

I have the extra large, triple-spike based sprinklers. it advertises to put
down 1/4" in 2 hours. (50% more than the 80'diam. sprinklers) They cost
around $25-$30 each at Lowes.
Here is an url to this sprinkler
http://www.gilmour.com/Watering_Hose...geCoverage.asp
Running it two times a week for 4 hours will get you your 1" of water a
week. My soil has a lot of clay in it, so I can't run this sprinkler any
longer than about 30 mins at a time before I get major puddling. I have
timers set that run the sprinkler 4 times a day for 30 mins each time. I am
still trying to get my lawn established, so I am watering alot right now.
Once it is established, I will back off the timers to running twice a day
for 30 mins.

I have these exact issues. Soil is heavy clay and after only 15 min. the water
is running into the street. I have an inground system with a decent Hunter
timer. I set it to run 5 - 15 min per zone. After it finishes the 7th zone the
water has soaked in enough to start at zone 1 again.

It wouldn't hurt to buy a rain guage and place it in the lawn. That way you
can keep track of exactly how much water the grass is getting.
Matt

My experience has been that the local water authority will give you rain gauges.

Tyler