Old 11-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Pete

Default unwanted topics

"len gardener" wrote in message
i recommended alt.pc to another person and they came back and said
that i had sent them to a porn site, i couldn't believe it.

Hiya Len
If they descibed it as a "site" rather than a newsgroup they may have
accessed something other than news:alt.permaculture on their ISP's (or
other) server

i use forte agent as my news reader and use News.INDIVIDUAL.NET as
the news server for forte, and i just don't see those sorts of posts
at all or only a couple here and there leastwise.

I'm using OEX on news.individual.net and I've seen quite a few of the type
of posts you're talking about ... I just click ignore sender as each new one
appears ....works for me.

so i went into outlook express (the most common used reader i would
guess) and downloaded perm' headers and boy the smut posts are over
whelming. now i guess it would be nigh on impossibe to get people to
stop using OEX and i don't know if those posts can be filtered through
the usenet as alt.pc is not moderated, so what can be done? those
posts must be working in a negative way to the benefit of alt.pc.

There wouldnt be many newsgroups these days which arent affected by this
kind of post ... actually most of them seem to be links to try to get people
to download a virus in the form of a .scr file ... using porn as the bait it
seems.

In my opinion anyone who comes to a permaculture newsgroup and follows a
link to http://mysisterbonkinga3leggedfrog.com/copthis.scr or some similar
URL from someone they have never heard of, is asking for everything they
get.... BTW don't follow that link OK? :-)

so what do we do?

Ignore em mate

is it plausable to start another moderated group?

Not really ...it's a fair bit of work to start a newsgroup in the first
place .. I started alt.talk.self-suffiency a while ago and you have to jump
through a few hoops to get acceptance, beg ISP's to add it to their servers
and post regularly (mostly talking to yourself) for what seems like forever
to get the group started .... then hope that some ISP's decide to carry it
and people can actually read it before wondering why no-one is answering
........... to start a moderated groups is as bad as the above with the added
problem of getting someone with the commitment to moderate EVERY post to it
You then run into the problem of censorship ... usenet is considered to be
the last frontier of free speech and who decides what is let through and is
blocked? .... can of worms .... fluff haters would block anything that isnt
topic related .such as this post ... and all the others recently
.....actually ALL my posts....

those heading can't be helping in anyway shape or form.

No they can't be ... but folks who have been around the net will see them
for what they are ....trash.

Its a problem we have to endure in our daily struggle to remain pure as the
driven snow mate ...do as I do and look the other way when you see rude
words or nekkid wimmin ........

:-))))

Pete