Old 13-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Dances With Ferrets

Default Eco-Complete

After hashing around what mix would be optimum for plants.... I
decided on a 50/50 mix of eco-complete and flourite (with a thin layer
of finely-crushed untreated lava stone in the lowest layer of the
gravel bed). The eco-complete has a much finer particle size than the
flourite, so it tends to settle below the surface of the gravel bed,
leaving the flourite on top. In the long run, it may or may not make
a difference in plant growth.... the eco-complete is nice-looking on
it's own, but I wanted the look of the flourite. My reason for mixing
is the different nutrient complexes contained within these substrates
(the shotgun approach to plant nutrition) I guess it more depends on
what look you'd prefer... the dramatic, dark contrast of the
eco-complete, or the rich tones of flourite. Either product you use
whether alone or in conjunction with each other will no-doubt yield
good results with your plants.