Old 14-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Is 1.6 wpg enough for a low maintenance, non CO2 planted tank

I'm gonna be modifying my All Glass hood soon to get more lighting for my
new 55G tank. I'm hoping to achieve a tank that gives me ok growth (ie:
trim once a month or two). One that won't require CO2 (although I will be
using Flourish Excel). I have fertilizers on hand, so I don't mind using
those, but I would like to have some room for error since this will be my
first planted tank. I don't mind sticking with low/medium light plants if
this means I get a low maintenance tank that doesn't require hours of
work/testing/trimming every week.

So the question is ... is 1.6wpg enough for such a tank? Having only 1.6wpg
would allow me to stick with a cheaper T8 lighting system instead of going
with T5 or compacts in order to fit everything in the All Glass hood. Btw,
a fully DIY hood is not an option unfortunately.

Thanks,
Harry