Old 15-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Dick

Default Is 1.6 wpg enough for a low maintenance, non CO2 planted tank

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:24:41 -0400, "Harry Muscle"
wrote:

I'm gonna be modifying my All Glass hood soon to get more lighting for my
new 55G tank. I'm hoping to achieve a tank that gives me ok growth (ie:
trim once a month or two). One that won't require CO2 (although I will be
using Flourish Excel). I have fertilizers on hand, so I don't mind using
those, but I would like to have some room for error since this will be my
first planted tank. I don't mind sticking with low/medium light plants if
this means I get a low maintenance tank that doesn't require hours of
work/testing/trimming every week.

So the question is ... is 1.6wpg enough for such a tank? Having only 1.6wpg
would allow me to stick with a cheaper T8 lighting system instead of going
with T5 or compacts in order to fit everything in the All Glass hood. Btw,
a fully DIY hood is not an option unfortunately.

Thanks,
Harry

I have had a 75 gallon tank (25 inches deep) set up for 18 months with
1.5wpg lighting. After going through assorted "take what you get"
internet offers, I finally discovered "low light" plants. I was at
the end of my rope with bad black hair algae. I ordered an assortment
of low light plants, pulled everything out of the tank that had "hair"
and stuffed the bottom with new plants. For over a year the tank has
looked great. Maybe once a month I have to pull excess growth.

I am not saying I have show quality plants, I have nothing to compare
my plants, but I sure am happy and my tank is stable. I never vacuum
the bottom, which is a plus. All of my tanks are at or above the "1
inch per gallon fish population. The 75 tank has two Penguin 330 bio
filters. I change out the filters only when I can't rinse them enough
to get a good flow (when the water backs up behind the filters and is
diverted to the Intake spillway). I don't adjust any chemistry and
change 20% of the water weekly straight from the tap.

I also have 4 other low light tanks. I have all my tanks' lights set
to 13 hours on time. I use an "X10" controller and schedule two hours
off mid day.

As for the bulbs themselves they are all different. Some came with
the tanks, others were recommended, doesn't seem to make much
difference. Also, I am using original bulbs. I know I am not getting
maximum light, but that is the whole point, low maintenance.
Replacing flourescents bulbs every six months is not low maintenance.

dick