Old 16-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Rob Halgren

Default mystery plant

Susan Erickson wrote:

And insignificant is being kind to the flowers. This orchid is
normally grown for it beautiful foliage.

Well... I'd say there are plenty of more insignificant flowers.
There are more than a few pleurothallids you can't see with a hand
lens... Personally I rather like the flowers on Ludisia (nee Haemaria)
discolor. Mine has white flowers with a yellow lip that are well over
a centimeter in natural spread. A nice tall spike (in relation to the
plant, anyway). They aren't particularly symmetrical, in fact they are
pretty twisted, but I like Mormodes for that same reason. Here is an
impressive (very impressive) picture I found while googling :
http://dorchids.members.atlantic.net..._discolor.html

But, even if you don't like the flowers, this is an excellent orchid
to begin with. It doesn't mind being a little damp, it grows like a
weed even in rather dim light, and is easy to propagate from stem
cuttings. Does really well in a terrarium. It will grow best in
moderate to high humidity, but it is pretty tolerant of house conditions
too. Actually a lot of people grow this and don't even realize it is an
orchid.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )