Old 16-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Greg G.

Default T-12 Reflector Design - FREE PLAN

Greetings,

For those who might be interest in building their own reflectors, I am
offering this design based on a T-12 (1.5") fluorescent bulb.

Note that the overall width is 5.25" - something to keep in mind when
stuffing 6 tubes into a hood. ;-) This width is optimum for this
tube diameter, any smaller compromises the efficiency by increasing
restrike.

Distance of the tube from the reflector is also fairly critical.

This reflector will work with my personal favorite - T-8 bulbs - as
well, but I will submit an optimized design later on that is narrower
in width and optimized for this smaller tube diameter. (1")

Note that the plan grid is minor 1/8" and major 1". This should make
it easy to replicate at home.

Flat pure white paint is a good choice for a final coating, although
mirror polished aluminum is slightly better.

Plan: (39kb)
http://www.thevideodoc.com/images/T-12Reflector.jpg

Short Video of photon reflection: (1200kb)
http://www.thevideodoc.com/media/T-12Reflector.mpg

Good Luck,
Greg

Greg G.