Old 19-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Alga Bars---Do they work?????

"Gareee©" wrote:

Of course, barley straw seems to work for many, doesn't hurt frogs and
invertebrates, but can discolor the water.

That's the first I heard of discoloration.. what color does it change the
water to?

All of my books say that a pond in balance is like a fine brewed beer
and the same color. My pond which seems to be in perfect balance and has
a bail of barley straw floating on it is a pale tan or yellow color, so
I guess the books are right. I wouldn't say the barley straw discolors
the water, but permits the pond to achieve it's best balance which does
have a slight color.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman