Old 20-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Greg G.

Default T-12 Reflector Design - FREE PLAN

Brian Moyer said:

Hi Greg,

I currently have an idle 30 long I'd like to set up as a planted tank.
With the width of your reflector I could only get 2 30W T12s over the
tank. Is this what you have on your 29? Does the added efficiency of
the reflector design make up for the (relatively) low WPG? I'm just
trying to decide between 2 really efficiently reflected bulbs or 3 or
4 that are just crammed in there.

Thanks for your time.

I forgot to mention, that compared to no reflector - or a poorly
designed commercial reflector - you can effectively double the
*useful* output of a tube, thus reducing the bulb count by half.
Without a good reflector, most of the light from the sides and top of
a bulb is lost through restrike and converted into heat.

2 wpg of full length light (36" 30w x 2) and a good reflector on a 30G
tank would probably grow most plants - just not Hairgrass and Marble
Queen Swords. From my experience, chain swords might have trouble
planted more than 12" deep.

FWIW,

Greg G.