Old 22-07-2004, 05:02 AM
simy1

Default How much lime to treat blossom end rot?

wrote in message . ..
I came to this group the first time yesterday, and immediately found
the answer to my problem: what was causing the ends of my tomatoes to
rot. Blossom end rot due to low calcium. So can I simply treat this
by sprinkling lime in the soil? If so how much? It seems to be
linked to nitrogen content, so will switching to low N fertilizer help
by itself or will I need the lime treatment as well.

thanks for the great information

Hal

for this kind of in season fixes wood ash is a lot better (acts far
faster), and a much better fertilizer too (than lime). I give each
plant a handful (maybe two heaping tbsp) at planting, and never had
any BER.