Old 22-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Sandie Hudson

Default squirrels in my tomatoes

"Bluebee Sky" wrote in message
Looks like I am not alone!even though I don't wish it this way!

I wait for my tomoatoes to become solid red, only to find the next day
that squirrel has had her share. So far I have two ripe tomatoes and
both were half eaten! And they also love to nibble on the neighboring
green ones!!

When I was a child my Grandfather and Uncle had a tomato farm. I was taught
that you could pick green tomatoes as soon as you could see a pink star on
the bottom. Those will continue to ripen. If you pick green tomatoes
without a star you might as well make fried green tomatoes as those won't
ripen.

My hubby was waiting for his tomatoes to get red before picking them but he
wasn't getting any that way. Something was eating all of them before they
got red. Then I told him you can pick them when they are still green if the
pink star is on the bottom. He started doing that and we have had tons this
year.

I've made lot's of pasta sauce, salsa, tomato dumplings, of course good old
"sliced maters". Yum. Just don't have much kitchen counter space these days
but that's OK.

--
Sandie
- Don't forget to take the cats out.