Old 22-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Heather

Default To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

Hey Bill,

What part of SO are you in? I'm close to Woodstock, between London and
Kitchener. My WH is deep green, spreading well and happy. My Azola and
Duckweed are close to choking the frog pond. (No GF). I'm about ready to
start adding to the compost. Temp of the water is 65 to 70 and I only have
sun on the ponds for 4 - 6 hours a day.

If you live close I'll give you some of my floaters. Email me.

Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)
Pond Pictures at: http://community.webshots.com/user/heathersmyth

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Pond is a little bare this year due to the cooler weather. The Water
Hyacinth are surviving, but not flourishing. So I wanted to introduce some
other quick growing cover to help with the Algae and provide shade, as

well
as a nosh for the GF.

I've read good and bad about Duckweed. I've got a 500 gal pond with 9 GF,
will Duckweed take over or will the GF ravage it? Should I grow it in a

tub
and add as required? Do I need to coral it in one area to prevent
competition with the Lillies and WH?

Advice appreciated. I'm in southern Ontario BTW.