Old 22-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Default To Duckweed or not to Duckweed

I beg to differ! My ponds are over ran by duckweed! Impossible to see the
pond and the fish. Yes I have some big Koi, and some little ones. But the
duckweed won that war!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"rob" wrote in message
rs.com...
I have duck weed in the pond and settling pool. It is growing well with

the
cool weather and provides a great dietary supplement for the Koi and

painted
turtles. Koi are like goats .... nothing can possibly grow too much
They keep eating the roots off the WH.

Rob from Ottawa

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Pond is a little bare this year due to the cooler weather. The Water
Hyacinth are surviving, but not flourishing. So I wanted to introduce

some
other quick growing cover to help with the Algae and provide shade, as

well
as a nosh for the GF.

I've read good and bad about Duckweed. I've got a 500 gal pond with 9

GF,
will Duckweed take over or will the GF ravage it? Should I grow it in a

tub
and add as required? Do I need to coral it in one area to prevent
competition with the Lillies and WH?

Advice appreciated. I'm in southern Ontario BTW.