Old 25-07-2004, 09:02 PM
JimS.

Default How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)?

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
This year I could not resist and rescued couple of tree roses (or rose
trees?) from our local K-Mart. If you have any doubt as to what I am

talking
about, it is a rose bush on top of about 2' long "trunk". The roses

revived,
they bloom beautifully - but I put them in large ornamental pots, one
plastic and the other one ceramic.
I am reasonably sure they cannot stay in the pots for the winter. Do I

have
to winter them over in the ground? Any hints? Directions? I have never had
potted roses before, never mind the tree variety. Please help.....? -
Maggie's Mom.

It depends entirely on where you are, of course. I have at least 8 large
potted roses including one of those cheesy tree roses, also in a ceramic
pot. I did not winter them in the ground, nor any of the other potted
roses. Most of my other potted roses are going on their 3rd year in pots
and they're doing find w/ no protection ever. However, I'm in Seattle and
we get a very mild winter with no snow and barely any temps in the
freezings. If you get a cold winter with sustained freezing temps protect
the tree roses the same way you'd protect any other potted (or planted
roses) in your climate range.

JimS.
Seattle