Old 26-07-2004, 03:03 AM
RichToyBox

Default help needed please - just inherited a koi pond

The filter bacteria produce acid, which will cause the pH to fall. In
addition, the high quantities of rain water that you have had, is somewhat
acid to start with, so I would expect your pH to be low. To assure a stable
pH, you should test for KH carbonate hardness, and be sure that it is over
80 ppm, which will help the filter bacteria work better, as well. To raise
the KH, use common baking soda, a little at a time until the pH is stable
and doesn't change with any more additions. Then you can add as much as you
want without affecting the pH, or the fish.
--
RichToyBox
"Robin" wrote in message

"Robin" wrote in message

Thanks for the PH warning, what are the best ways to
increase and level the PH. Also we have alot of summer rain
here. 16 inches in June. How does this affect the water
and ph levels?

Robin
http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami