Old 26-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Tim Tompkins

Default How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)?

"Tree Roses" are usually double grafted, at the root stock and at the top of
the "trunk".

Depending on your climate they may need to be protected from freezing either
or both of the grafts. The top graft is the most exposed and susceptible.
When they are grown in containers there is very little thermal mass to
buffer temperature changes and the root stock graft is also subject to
damage from short periods of below freezing temperatures.

I get winter temperatures as low as -20F, in this climate they are either
'annuals' or MUST be kept in the basement or garage to survive.

Tim

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
This year I could not resist and rescued couple of tree roses (or rose
trees?) from our local K-Mart. If you have any doubt as to what I am

talking
about, it is a rose bush on top of about 2' long "trunk". The roses

revived,
they bloom beautifully - but I put them in large ornamental pots, one
plastic and the other one ceramic.
I am reasonably sure they cannot stay in the pots for the winter. Do I

have
to winter them over in the ground? Any hints? Directions? I have never had
potted roses before, never mind the tree variety. Please help.....? -
Maggie's Mom.