Old 26-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Wild wild rocket

"Phil L" wrote in message ...
Mike Lyle wrote:
:: If I get it wrong when using my field guide to identify wild rocket
:: (actually, in my Collins FG, 'Hedge mustard' is what they call
:: Sisymbrium officinale, which in turn is what the Internet seems to
:: call 'wild rocket'), eating the wrong close relative won't do me
:: any harm, will it?
::
:: Mike.

Lots of plants have very potent toxins in them...TBH, I wouldn't take the
risk unless you are *positive* that what you are getting is the actual plant
you are looking for - many 'similar' looking plants are in fact deadly!
this link has many photographs of Sisymbrium officinale, whether this *is*
wild rocket, I do not know!
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A30D253E8

HTH

Thanks; I've been there, though. And, no, I don't take these risks,
being a fully paid-up member of the Amalgamated Union of Craven
Cowards and Allied Trades.

Can we narrow it down a bit? I'm confident of my ability to identify a
cabbagey-mustardy crucifer in the field, but not necessarily certain
of the species. Are there any of these which would be toxic in normal
salad use?

The HMSO _British Poisonous Plants_ is written from a vet point of
view, and puts several crucifers in the frame; but they don't seem to
have killed stock except when mature plants had been eaten in large
quantities. (Pigs were killed by only two ounces or so of horseradish
root: but just _smelling_ that much horseradish might kill me!) Even
rape, whose seedlings we eat without ill effect as a salading, is only
to be trusted for cattle under certain conditions.

Mike.